Over the years, the number of award shows held to acknowledge and appreciate the films produced in a year has gradually increased. Although it has helped increase the entertainment quotient on television for Indian viewers, it is no big revelation that these awards are more popularity based than talent. Some prominent celebrities like Aamir Khan and Ajay Devgn boycotting these awards fan the flame.
So in this abundance of award shows, perhaps the only one that passes for its merit is the National Awards. And while others are a great hubbub, National Awards are a low key affair. The winners of 63rd National Awards were announced today and will be awarded in a ceremony on 3rd May.
Best Picture: Baahubali
The magnum opus by S.S. Rajamouli won the best picture award. It is the first Telugu movie to win the honour.
Best Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali for Bajirao Mastani
This is the first national award for the director.
Best Actor: Amitabh Bachchan for Piku
This is the fourth National Award for the veteran actor, having earned it for Agneepath, Black and Paa already.
Best Actress: Kangana Ranaut for Tanu Weds Manu Returns
The actress won National Award for Best Supporting Actress for Fashion (2008) and for Best Actress for Queen, making this her third win.
Other winners include:
- Best Supporting Actor: Samuthirakani, Visaaranai
- Best Supporting Actress: Tanvi Azmi, Bajirao Mastani
- Best Hindi Film: Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film Of A Director: Neeraj Ghaywan, Masaan
- Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment: Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Best Choreography: Remo D’Souza, Deewani Mastani (Bajirao Mastani)
- Best Female Playback Singer: Monali Thakur, Moh Moh Ke Dhage
- Best Cinematography: Sudeep Chaterjee, Bajirao Mastani
- Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration: Nanak Shah Fakir
- Best Screenplay Writer (Original): Juhi Chaturvedi (Piku) and Himanshu Sharma (Tanu Weds Manu Returns)
- Best Screenplay – Dialogues: Juhi Chaturvedi (Piku) and Himanshu Sharma (Tanu Weds Manu Returns)
- Best Malayalam Film: Pathemari
- Best Film on Social Issue: Niranayakam
- Best Music Direction: M Jayachandran for Song Kaathirunnu Kaathirunnu
- Best Music Direction – Background Score: Ilaiyaraaja, Thaarai Thappattai
- Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation: Valiya Chirakulla Pakshikal
- Best Children’s Film: Duronto
- Best Tamil Film: Visaaranai
- Best Telugu Film: Kanche
- Best Sanskrit Film: Priyamanasam
- Best Kannada Film: Thithi
- Best Marathi Film: Ringan
- Best Maithili Film: Mithila Makhaan
- Best Punjabi Film: Chauthi Koot
- Best Bengali Film: Sankhachil
- Best Konkani Film: Enemy
- Best Assamese Film: Kothanodi
- Best Haryanvi Film: Satrangi
- Best Wancho Film: The Head Hunter
- Best Khasi Film: Onaatah
- Best Manipuri Film: Eibusu Yaohanbiyu
- Best Mizo Film: Kima’s Lode Beyond the Class
- Best Odiya Film: Pahada Ra Luha
- Special Mention: Ritika Singh for the film Irudhi Suttru
- Best Editing: Late Kishore T.E for Visaranai
- Best Costume Designer and Best Make-up Artist for film: Nanak Shah Fakir
Leave a Comment